Saturday, December 30, 2006

Touched by Saddam

I was at the Alipore court in Calcutta this morning. There was a hearing scheduled, on a case filed by our company, and I was to give evidence. As I was about to leave the lawyer's chamber to go to the court room, one of our lawyer's juniors received the news from his senior that Saddam Hussein had been hanged today morning, and a tv channel was interviewing him for his analysis of the subject. He is a senior criminal lawyer of the city. Hence he could not appear for the hearing. So a plea was made to the judge for a new date, which was granted.

I was struck by how something happening so far away, this event that is set to rock the world, had also touched me and our company.

Just before 2006 closes, what's in store for 2007 - strife - has been intimated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right, dear Brother. A death, even of a tyrant, does justice no good. To Allah alone belongs the judgement.

Ya Haqq!

Anonymous said...

My hope is that one day we will see that all humanity is spiritually connected, and so we all are impacted by events far away. Man is capable of so much goodness, and also its opposite.

Best wishes to you and your family during the coming year. ~ Bonita

Naomi said...

I agree with the other comments. Saddam was brutally cruel and inhumane, but my heart still sunk when I learned of the hanging.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what we accomplished by executing Saddam. Other world dictators and tyrants will continue to do business as usual. Iraq remains unstable. And the beat goes on.