Monday, January 15, 2007

Reunion



My wife and I had gone to visit our sons at the Rishi Valley School, in Madanapalle in south India. My going was not originally planned, so it was a fortuitous turn that took me there. It was also a surprise for the boys - hence a happy reunion indeed.

Being of a self-effacing nature, I habitually view myself as redundant in every sphere. This chance surprise visit to my sons - made me realise that I am important to them. And that is a big responsibility.

My visits to Rishi Valley have been associated with reading great literature. This time I had carried the last 3 volumes of Osamu Tezuka's 8-volume graphic novel Buddha. I finished reading these. My younger son Rishiraj too completed these during our time together.

An old building near the guest house we were staying in was being demolished. So the Buddha's exclamation on his enlightenment was a constant companion:

"... O house builder, now you have been seen. Never again shall you be able to build the house. All your rafters are broken and your ridge pole is shattered. ..."



Parting from my boys to return home - I was filled with sadness, and was morose all of yesterday while in transit in Bangalore. I picked up Orhan Pamuk's Snow at the airport in the evening and immersed myself in reading. That helped to take my mind away and lift the cloud of sadness.

Back to Calcutta, back to all the millions of things to do and worry about here.

A major refurbishment of our office had been underway. I returned to sit in my "new" room. It feels strange and alien.

1 comment:

Vincent said...

"Redundant in every sphere!" Your office tells a rather different story. But I do know what you mean, and I have tended to think that way too, all my life.

As Peter Gabriel sings:

And in this moment, I need to be needed
With this darkness all around me, I like to be liked
In this emptiness and fear, I want to be wanted
'Cause I love to be loved
I love to be loved
Yes, I love to be loved