Thursday, July 20, 2006

Money money money


This morning I went to our slum project in Howrah. I had taken along money for:

3 ceiling fans for our community centre /school;
7 umbrellas for our volunteer community oganisers & teachers; and
printing cost for 500 pass-books for the women's thrift cooperative

Where will the money come from? - I wondered. I had simply drawn the money from my bank account.

Early last year, I had been in despair over how we would find the money to pay the hefty additional deposit for our new premises. Then I simply wrote an appeal and e-mailed it to all my friends and relatives. It was the first time I had done that. Very soon, we had the money we needed for the deposit, as well as something over and above that. I was overwhelmed!

We moved into our new premises in November. The number of children studying in our Talimi Haq School increased, from about 60 to over 125.

For the last year or so we have been running on the surplus. Now that is running out. Where will the money come from? One can't go on asking one's friends and relatives.

Surely something will materialise ... Until then I will just have to go on making withdrawals from my account. Thankfully, somehow there's always sufficient cover.

No comments: