Thursday, September 14, 2006

Bayazid Bistami

Bayazid encountered a dog and started to pull his robe away from it, so that it should not defile him.

The dog, in a human voice, said:

‘If I had been dry, there would have been no purpose in avoiding me. If I had been wet, you could have washed your robe. But the hate which you have towards me can never be cleansed.’

Bayazid said:

‘O enlightened dog, come and stay with me for a while.’

The dog answered:

‘That is impossible, because the world uses me as an epithet, and you are regarded by the world as a paragon.’

Bayazid exclaimed:

‘Alas! I am not fit to live with one whom the whole world regards as inferior: how can I therefore approach the Truth which all regard as the Highest of all?’


From: The Way of the Sufi, by Idries Shah.

No comments: